I'm saying this is the South. And we're proud of our crazy people. We don't hide them up in the attic. We bring 'em right down to the living room and show 'em off. See, Phyllis, no one in the South ever asks if you have crazy people in your family. They just ask what side they're on.
~ Julia Sugarbaker
My family is CRAZY, but not the "I-am-going-to-drive-you-to-Whitfield-if-you-can't-behave" type, but the kind that makes you laugh. As my middle sister put it, "I can't make this stuff up."
So the crazy stuff ...
- On the night before Christmas Eve, all through the house, not a creature was stirring, not even the dogs, when my father gets a phone call, runs out of the house in just his pajama bottoms to get 60 pounds of meat out of the trunk of a patrol car that had just come from a truck wreck. The meat was still frozen. It was not Donnor or Blitzen nor Rudolph, but certified USDA ground chuck. I got 10 pounds myself.
- My baby sister got a bumper for her yellow 1989 Jeep. Now if her real headlights go out, she got the backup, brighter rounds lights located on the bumper. My middle sister got to ride with my baby sister to a Christmas party where before Middle sister could get in, Baby sister had to move a few things to the back so that Middle sister could hold Baby sister's rifle.
- When I got the text of the whole thing, Baby sister said that people are going to think she is the worst redneck ever. She proceed to talk about having class, and in all honesty she does. She knows how to set a table, buy cute shoes and purses, and put a smile on your face with her wit. She can also drive a fork-lift, shoot any type of gun, and fix your car. She is a true Southern Belle.
- Any time you get our of the car, you must be very quite and look for deer. If there are none in sight, you can go on your merry way. If there happen to be deer, you decide who gets to shoot based on your distance to the close gun.
- My cousin comes over with a new Christmas song to start your party that involves lyrics of ice, adult beverages, and feminine products
- Our Christmas Eve dinner involved three types of deer meat - fried, rolled, and tenderized and steak so good you do not use any sauce.
- You still call your female cousin to compare what Santa Claus left you. We are all in our twenties and still believe so we still receive.
- Having a good holiday with your CRAZY family ... priceless memories
Christmas was fabulous! It was great to see all of my family and some friends, however I easily see how we so get off focused on the true meaning of Christmas with all the gift giving and receiving wonderful things, but what I most love about Christmas is spending it with family. I think that is part of GOD's plan as much as celebrating His Son's birth. What better than to be with family at this time in order to do so? Christmas is a celebration of love - GOD's love for us, our love for Him, and our love for our families. I can say that despite all of the CRAZY things that happened over Christmas, the one thing that I was thankful for was our families and spending time with them.
On the other hand, I am very happy to say that I paced myself on the wonderful food that I ate. I just need to find motivation to go to the gym or either move my walking buddies over here.
I am going to take a little bloggy break this week. I need to get my house in order and just work on refreshing my mind before going back to work. The new year is always refreshing, and I will not be making a resolution again this year, but rather some goals. I will share that along with some of the things that I received and some inspiration with you next week.
Until then, enjoy some Christmas pictures from my CRAZY family to yours ...
Tool Box that my father made for his nephew. I think I need one too, just because.
Tootsie and her Christmas collar
Middle and Baby Sisters
Daddy's present that we made in a state of delirium. It spells out Daddy.
Some people get money bracelets, but my daddy got a money necklace. We had planned on a money belt, but ran out of ones. Can't you tell he was thrilled?
Mama got a Kitchen Aid mixer with a nice attachment
Middle sister's gifts that I made her ...
Baby sister figuring out her bumper that the boys had already put on. She never noticed it.
Our loot from SC ... I will post about our wedding book later
Baby sister's loot
Middle sister's loot
My sweet grandmother and me
Ken's sweet cousins and me.
All tuckered out
Have a wonderful week!